Sunday, January 6, 2013

Not too long ago, an acquaintance attempted to take advantage of a situation. Without hesitation, I set my boundaries and went on with things. Come to find out, the person was offended by my lack of cooperation. A common friend was rather concerned that this person may spread rumors about me. In the midst of our conversation I simply told this common friend that this person can say whatever she wants and besides I'm used to being the bad person.

That statement truly came from my past. My parents have successfully spread every possible rumors and lies about me. Over the years, I have learned that people are not blind. They see what they see and if what they see do not support what they hear, they will eventually figure out the truth. Of course along the way, my parents have a handful of die hard supporters who stood by them no matter what. Many of whom I don't really care anyways but I do have to cut ties with love ones who simply are blinded by their love and devotions for my parents. And that is no easy feat.

Due to my parents lack of care and respect for the money I have given them, a close family friend helped to hand them a monthly allowance under the pretense that the money was from them. My parents were so full of themselves that they never once questioned how this family can even afford to give them a monthly allowance. Initially, my mother in particular accepted the money with some gratitude but before long, she took the money with a sense of entitlement. For years, this family friend was burdened by the secret. She was very hurt when my mother said the meanest thing about me to the world. She tried every way to defend me and everything she said was met with blunt rebuttal that if I had cared about them, I would have sent some money.

My mother's tale to the world was while I am leading a fabulous life, I left them in shamble. Given the amount of crap they have said to the world, I would expect others to hate me. Instead, many were not blinded by the lies. Some things that came back to me were, if they were so poor, how come they have brand name stuff from head to toe. If they were so poor, how come they are better fed that others. If they are so poor, how come they have the latest gadgets. If they are so poor, how come all the grandkids each have a cell phone. This family friend who helped with the money was ridiculed by others for being so dumb to give my parents money. She was questioned by her own children who asked why she gave away her money while denying them of some privileges. Over time, she had to reveal the truth to her children in particular. She also confided with a few trusted friends, often to defend my integrity. 

Before my mother passed away, this family friend told my mother where the money had come from. She couldn't bear the thought of my mother bearing this grudge against me in her death bed. Truth is, it really didn't matter. My mother would have found some thing else to hate me with. With the truth revealed, my brother's wife and children managed to carry the torch to swindle from me. Knowingly, I let them have the final dip after my father passed away and that was that.

I am forever grateful to this family friend. Who stood by me and defended me. Who gave account for every penny that went through her hand. Who did what she did simply from the kindness of her heart. If I can say a prayer for her, I want her to have a prosperous life. I want her blessed beyond human understanding.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment