Saturday, January 26, 2013

Chinese New Year is round the corner. It is one of the most festive season in our culture. Family gather for reunion dinner. Children receiving the red packets. Time where traditions are upheld and pass down from one generation to another. Sounds of fireworks and lion dance surrounds the neighborhood. Family stay up late on New Year's eve, believing that it will prolong the lives of our love ones.

 

Growing up, you can hear the sound of crickets in our household during Chinese New Year. The festivity is almost non-existent. Festivity that usually begins on New Year's eve where family gather from far and wide to feast together, was never celebrated in our household. My paternal grandmother was alive for most of my childhood and I've never met her. My parents have never taken the time to visit her or my other relatives. Not even during the New Year.  So, not only do I know very little about my heritage, I know very few of my relatives. Traditions were mocked in my family. We don't ever stay up late on New Year's eve. We don't light fireworks. We don't respect others when they refrained from sweeping during New Year's Day for fear of sweeping away their good fortune. 

 
But surprise, surprise, on the first day of New Year, we do dress up, go to church, visit a few friends, get red packets, and go home. Somehow, the tradition that has some involvement with money was upheld in my family. Mum always knew how much we were given in every red packet. She was always very happy when the amount was big. Thinking back, I have no idea where all my money gathered during the New Year went.  

Since living overseas, I am experiencing the same silence during the New Year. More than ever I yearn for the festivity. When I had no one to celebrate with, I will put on my red silk top on the day of the New Year. Last few years, I gathered a few close friends and hosted my version of Chinese New Year "party." Every year, I learn a little more about my tradition. I can't replicate what I missed and what could have been, but at the very least, I appreciate the tradition. I am proud of my heritage. While I still don't believe in many of the superstitions, I respect them. For now, it is time to start baking my pineapple tart. Time to get the ball rolling. Time to see if I can put together a super awesome YuSheng!

No comments:

Post a Comment