Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Advice given to me is while referring to my intention to cut my MIL off is "it is not good to be resentful." I personally don't think I'm resentful. I am certainly angry. Very angry. Enough is enough and I no longer feel obligated to tolerate her bullshit. I don't need her. I can do without her in my life. Putting aside the need to protect my son from her, I really am standing up and advocating for myself. I have always been this agreeable daughter in law. I have always put my true feelings aside to please her. To make it easier for my husband. To make it easier for me too. To go along.

Is it really about resentment? Question is - why is it okay for her to treat me with such disregard all these years? I am not being mean to her. I am merely preventing her from being mean to me. What is so wrong with that? Even with this visit, I went out of the way to make her visit comfortable. I made tentative plans. I put my beloved son on an air mattress so that she can have the bed. I ensure that she was comfortable. Last I remember of our visit, she knowingly got rid of the only guest bed in her trailer weeks before we arrived, simply to clear room for a home office, which was a table pushed against the wall. She had no problem putting us all 3 on a 30+ year old sofa bed. She even mockingly asked about the "iron maiden." So, why don't I have the rights to be down right infuriated? She came into my home and has the audacity to mock me, to disrespect me while I stuck to my integrity and took care of her.

I am done with going with the flow. If it means creating turmoil, I am ready for it. Bring it on. She started it. Not me. It is nothing about resentment. It is about making tough choices and sticking with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment