Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Was watching a reality show about a couple who just met their adopted son. I relate so well to their struggles and the blessing of finally being a parent. In the past, shows like this brought a sharp pain to my heart as I see how others gain support from their family during the ups and downs of life. I am beginning to realize that my forefront reaction is becoming more and more about my immediate family and not about my past. I see that little boy and I see my son. They are about the same age and I can't imagine what that little boy is going through having to leave his home land to be with strangers. I cannot fathom the fear in that child for I know, it would have been hard for my little guy if he had to be taken away from us and given to another family. But I also feel that overwhelming sense of "how can I be so lucky" to finally have a child to call my own. I remember how I felt in the hospital room. It was so surreal to finally hear my son cry for the first time, and still is. And it is so true as they said it, the struggles seemed like a distance memory. I almost have to dig deep to remember how hard it was. It was a good feeling to have a sense that I am moving forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment