Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Today I am reminded of how fragile life can be. About this time last year, a coworker much younger than me passed away from cancer leaving behind an infant daughter. Just before the holiday, another much younger coworker was diagnosed with cancer. Saw her today and she already had a wig on. As I was driving home, I suddenly remembered a very brief call from a college friend two days ago informing me that her husband has been sent home with hospice care. I called her as soon as I got home and again, our call was cut short as he needed her care. After I let the dog out for his business, I started cooking. On most days, I would have been very frazzled. Rushing through my chores so that I can catch a quick glimpse of my favorite show before the boys get home. Today, I was lost in my thoughts of what my coworker is currently going through. I don't know her on a personal level but I know that her chemo starts tomorrow. I know she has two very young children. I know that she lost her mother also to cancer. I heard that her husband is having a hard time coping. I heard that she is falling apart. I heard that she is worried about her sick time, job, money etc.  There is just so much on her plate. I feel that my life is on an upswing and I wish that things like that don't ever happen to anyone. I can only ponder quietly and say a quick prayer or two for those going through their down swing. Days like these remind me to cherish my time here. No one knows how long we are assigned to live. Anyone one of us can be gone tomorrow. My mother-in-law lost her first husband to cancer. She has always said that having lost someone so young, she feels that she has earned all her wrinkles. As I begin to see the signs of my less firm skin, I have to remind myself that my time here is a privilege. I hope that one day I am able to proclaim that I earn my wrinkles too and not be resentful that I live a day too long.
Jody Stadler's self-portrait at age 70: "70th Birthday: 2,207,520,000 Seconds."

No comments:

Post a Comment