Wednesday, October 23, 2013



Thinking of Opal. The first puppy I adopted as an adult. I don't know what brought me to think of her tonight. It started with a vivid memories of me and my ex-coworkers visiting the SPCA in search for a puppy for my ex who had just lost his long time companion. All of us were at the time young ladies in heals. We caused quite a stir at the rescue center. The guys were all creating a ruckus wanting us to adopt them. I asked if anyone of them were potty trained and one guy said he was and he knew how to flush. The vet came out and said "now, I have to put that one to sleep" referring the adult male who knew how to flush. It was hilarious. In the midst of it all, there was this little Shepard mix that caught my eye. I picked her and brought her to him as his birthday present, if I recall correctly. He named her Opal, after his birthstone. She was nothing like his previous dog. She was smart. She captured the heart of her greatest critic, his father, who hated dogs. She became his companion. Especially at night. She would lay by him as he sip on his night cap and ate his peanuts. She was loved. I loved her too. I was the one that potty trained her. I picked her!!! and I had to say goodbye to her. We spent our last day walking the empty field next to his parents' home. I looked her in her eyes knowing that will be our last goodbye. She went about her business. Not a care in the world and that evening we parted. I have never seen her again.

No comments:

Post a Comment