Thursday, April 11, 2013

I work closely with families. Most only wants the best for their children but every once in awhile I run into parents who try to use the platform for personal agenda. It is never obvious but I am one huge skeptic.

It was only recently that I heard a parent in tears, crying in the hallway about "how her life is spiraling out of control" as she approached the office that I was in. My colleagues were kind to offer her water, tissue, and a few kind words. I realize that I don't offer up my compassion quite that quickly. In fact, my first reaction is to doubt the person. Her tears soon went away. A little too quick in my opinion, given her claim that her children apparently were abducted. That there were supposedly an amber alert and that her ex was arrested but bailed out of jail. What a storyline! I have no proof that she is lying or exaggerating but she also offer no proof of the truth. So, I merely said "oh, I'm sorry" and proceeded with our meeting.

Every time when I encounter individuals like her, I can't help but envision my own mother making such ludicrous claim about me. The story line may be different but the magnitude of the wrongdoings are just as monumental. Reactions from others are quite similar. Over pouring of compassion towards the story teller while the accused have no voice.

As a professional, I stand impartial. I don't judge but I remain skeptical. Unless and I until I see the amber alert or read it in the paper, I am not buying into it, for I have stood in the position of the accused for too many years.

No comments:

Post a Comment